One of the biggest struggles of any business or non-profit is how to build their Facebook fan base. Here are 5 tips that can get you started. I warn you, however, that building Facebook fans is very difficult. Many of the best social media managers struggle in this area. Please don’t give up and persist in your efforts – if you incorporate these tips you will eventually find your voice and the your numbers will grow!
1. Be Consistent: As with most things in social media, consistency is crucial. Your fans need to know you are alive and breathing! It’s all in the updates when it comes to Facebook, so be sure to consistently post. However, don’t overdo it. One or two posts a day is a maximum! Some organizations stick to three posts a week and still hold a good following. Feel out your audience — adjust your frequency based on the engagement (or lack there of!) of your audience.
2. Treat Your Fans Like They Are Your Friends: People log onto social media, especially Facebook, to tune out. They do not want to be sold to. Be fun and likeable. It might be tricky at first, but you need to think of your fans as your friends. Ask them questions. Pull in funny current media clips or post inspiring quotes and photos. Most importantly, talk with them, not at them. If you don’t master this, your fan base is guaranteed not to grow.
3. Integrate Social Plug-Ins Into Your Webpage: This is mostly a no-brainer. Engage with customers that visit your website or receive your newsletter. That cute little Facebook icon should be on every piece of marketing collateral you have printed. Let people know you are involved on social media.
4. Just Ask: Your fans are your fans for a reason. They appreciate and support your mission and/or cause. They are there to support you, so ask for it! I recently worked with an organization that had 92 fans on Facebook. We wanted to reach 100 and simply asked the fans to share the organization’s page with all their friends. Within hours we had a dozen new likes and were featured on the blog of one of our followers! We were so proud and flattered by the actions of our fans! Don’t underestimate how much your fans will do for you.
- How to grow your fan base? BoomTime Sweepstakes for Facebook! (coverboom.com)
- Building a Fan Base for Your Facebook Page (msjadebailey.wordpress.com)
- Successful Facebook Tips for Restaurants (coverboom.com)